Sunday, January 18, 2009

I have to admit, I have been very lax in my blogging. I wish I had a good reason, but really, I don't.
Well, I have semi-good reasons, or so I tell myself
#1 - I don't like the way my blog looks. I mean, the template thing is good and all - and it has enough green to satisfy my green obsession, but I just don't like it. It is too template-y. I look at other mom-blogs with blog envy and wish I knew how to format and code or whatever technical terms go along with making your blog look all pretty.
#2 - I have been lurking other blogs in the interim - okay, still not a good excuse, but in my own defense, it is not as if I have been ignoring blogspot altogether - I have just been reading instead of writing. The cursed thing about this is that you read one blog, which references another blogger, so you head over to that blog, and read a comment by yet another blogger, so you venture her way etc etc until you have 18 000 tabs spread across you computer and you don't know where the time went but suddenly it is Tuesday and your butt has gone numb from sitting too long.
#3 - the whole reason I started blogging was to share my own personal foibles and to share my writing with friends and family. Every time I write a post on Facebook or in email or whatever alternate media forms there are out there, I am met with the comments - you are a good writer, you should write, so write I did. But then I started reading and found that either a) people had already said all the things I was thinking, therefore there was no reason to repeat them or b) I am not as good a writer as I thought....but again, that could just be my self-defeating perfectionism talking...
#4 - I set my standards waaaaaay too high - I had designs of being a professional writer someday - actually being a professional speaker. Of everything I have read concerning professional writing/speaking, the number one piece of advice is to write every day. Every. Day. So I say to myself, self, you must now write every day. Once I have this big looming MUST WRITE EVERYDAY mantra hanging over me, I am suddenly out of things to say. I even had a nice little schedule all mapped out about what I would write on certain days, But what if I get to a Tuesday and don't feel like doing a "confessional" piece , or I have Top 10 lists rolling around in my head and it is not yet Friday? What a conundrum, especially for an OCD girl such as myself. SO, I have decided to take some advice - start small. Even if my entry is just a sentence a day, or a borrowed quote, or a link to someone else's blog, that is what I will do - some days will be feast, some days will be famine. But every day there will be something. Maybe. If I feel up to it.

Okay, so those are my many many excuses. Until I learn how to do all the technical stuff it takes to make a fabulous looking blog, this is what I have, so I have to work it for all it's worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment